Ian Wright Breaks Silence on Gabriel Martinelli Situation as Arsenal Future Becomes Increasingly Uncertain

Ian Wright has admitted he feels “uncomfortable” with the way Arsenal are handling Gabriel Martinelli’s situation, after the Brazilian winger was left out of the matchday squad for the second game in a row.
Martinelli has been linked with a move away from the Emirates throughout the summer, with Galatasaray having held discussions over a potential transfer earlier this month. AS Roma have also been credited with an interest.
Yet the 25-year-old is reportedly happy at Arsenal and does not want to leave for a league outside Europe’s top five, leaving his future increasingly unclear.
Wright Questions Arsenal’s Treatment of Martinelli
Speaking to Sky Sports after Arsenal’s victory over Coventry City, Wright questioned the decision to leave Martinelli completely out of the squad.
“With respect to Martinelli and the way he’s being treated at the moment, it really makes me uncomfortable.”
Wright acknowledged that Martinelli has not always been Arsenal’s most consistent player, but stressed that he has delivered important moments for the club and deserves greater consideration during a potentially difficult period.
He added that there are ways for Arsenal to move a player on while still treating him properly.
When asked what specifically concerned him, Wright pointed to Martinelli being absent from the squad and, according to information he said he had received, not being told what was happening.
“I know they might want him out,” Wright said. “But there’s ways of doing that should suit him as well.”
Martinelli Has Been Left Out Twice

Martinelli was not involved in Arsenal’s Community Shield victory over Manchester City and was again absent for Friday night’s win over Coventry City.
Meanwhile, summer signing Christos Tzolis started both matches and impressed, while Arsenal continue to search for another left-sided attacker.
Wright believes the uncertainty is particularly difficult for Martinelli because his current contract expires in 2027.
He explained that if Arsenal had successfully signed Vinicius Junior, Martinelli might at least have understood where he stood in the pecking order.
“But if you’re bringing in Tzolis and Madueke’s there, you’re thinking to yourself, ‘I’ve got something to offer here’,” Wright said.
Instead, seeing Martinelli completely outside the matchday squad left Wright feeling sorry for the player.
“I think he’s done enough in this squad to be treated with a bit more respect than he’s been treated at the moment,” he said.

Arsenal Still Looking for Another Attacker
Arsenal’s unsuccessful pursuit of Vinicius Junior appeared to improve Martinelli’s chances of remaining at the Emirates.
However, the club are still looking to strengthen their attack, particularly on the left side.
Atletico Madrid forward Julian Alvarez has also been linked with Arsenal, and Mikel Arteta was asked whether his squad needed a player of that calibre.


Arteta maintained that he remains satisfied with the group available to him and insisted the priority is to continue improving the players already at the club.
“I’m really happy with the squad that we have, and the main focus is to improve the players that we already have because we already have a lot of good teams.”
For Martinelli, however, the uncertainty remains. With Arsenal continuing to explore attacking options and the Brazilian once again left out of the squad, Wright’s criticism has brought renewed attention to a situation that appears far from resolved.