“‘DOWN THERE, THE SHARKS AREN’T EVEN THE SCARIEST PART.’” An elite recovery dive team is now locked in a terrifying race beneath the Maldives after bodies of missing tourists became trapped inside one of the region’s most dangerous underwater cave systems — and rescuers say the ocean itself is turning against them.

AN ELITE task force of top divers are racing against the clock to find the bodies of four Italians who drowned in “treacherous” caves in the Maldives.

Five scuba divers on a university research trip went missing on Thursday morning – with only one body recovered so far.

NINTCHDBPICT000724538964
Elite Finnish divers have arrived in the Maldives to find the missing bodies of four touristsCredit:

 

NINTCHDBPICT000234633803
Finnish diver Sami Paakkarinen has flown to the MaldivesCredit: Monami Agency

The divers were led by the highly-experienced diver and renowned marine biologist Monica Montefalcone and boat captain Gianluca Benedetti.

They were joined by Monica’s daughter Giorgia Sommacal, researcher Muriel Oddenino, and marine biologist Federico Gualtieri.

Benedetti’s body is the only one to be recovered – found with an empty oxygen tank on Thursday evening, around six hours after the alarm was first raised.

Three Finnish divers – Sami Paakkarinen, Jenni Westerlund, and Patrik Grönqvist – have now arrived in the paradise archipelago to help get the high-risk recovery mission over the line, with a new search set to resume on Monday.

The elite unit, which was assembled in 48 hours and dispatched by DAN Europe – a diving safety organisation – will be searching the Alimatha cave complex near Vaavu Atoll.

Paakkarinen, who has been cave diving since 2004, and Grönqvist gained international renown for their role in recovering surviving divers in the 2014 Plura incident in Norway.

The divers have worked on some of the world’s most difficult missions.

Laura Marroni, CEO of the European diving network, told La Stampa: “We’ll bring them back. We can’t leave them at the mercy of the sharks. We need experts here.”

Local USPS workers may soon look different under switch to iconic uniform

Five Italians die during cave scuba dive in Maldives
Giorgia Sommacal, 20, died alongside her mumCredit: UGC/UNPIXS

 

A smiling woman in a blue wetsuit on a boat with another boat in the distance.
Her mum Monica Montefalcone died on the expedition

Marroni stressed that speed was vital as the four missing divers have been up to 200ft underwater for nearly four days now.

She said: “In warm waters, even if we don’t know exactly what fauna is in the cave, we can’t rule out the risk of predators like sharks or environmental impacts.

“During past recoveries, the worst happened. So every hour that passes is crucial.”

The death of a Maldivian military rescue diver on Saturday highlighted the mission’s extreme danger – with the total death toll rising to six.

The team of expert European divers arrived in Malé, the Maldives capital, on Sunday – with the aim of assisting the search teams.

Marroni said: “We offered our decades of experience and selected the best and most experienced divers immediately available: the Finnish team.

“Over the past two days, one of our highest priorities has been to support these operations with the best people, the right equipment, and the strongest possible coordination.

“Our team is now on site and preparing for tomorrow’s dive. From this moment, their focus must be entirely on the mission ahead.”

NINTCHDBPICT001080895188
The group went missing on a cave diving expedition near Vaavu AtollCredit: Shutterstock

 

Maldives military rescue diver dies in search for missing Italians
Maldivian divers have tirelessly tried to recover the bodies for three daysCredit: EPA

 

Rescue diver dies during search for bodies of Italians who drowned in Maldives caves
Hero Mohammed Mahdhi tragically died during the search missionCredit: MALDIVES GOV/UNPIXS

 

Five Italians die during cave scuba dive in Maldives
Duke of York boat captain Gianluca Benedetti is the only diver to have been recoveredCredit: UGC/UNPIXS

The elite trio can dive to depths of nearly 500ft, giving them wiggle room to search the difficult cave complex.

“We are talking about people among the most competent in the world for these operations,” Marroni added.

They will spend the coming hours planning for an “extremely complex and high-risk operation”.

Risks such as poor visibility caused by rising sediment, as well as a narrow two to three metre cave corridor, still pose risks for the experts.

Adding to the difficulty, there is a lack of technical equipment available on site.

Marroni said: “The Maldives aren’t known for deep-sea diving or cave diving, so there’s a lack of training or organization for this type of recovery.”

DAN Europe said it has “always stood alongside the international diving community, providing medical assistance, emergency coordination, and operational support in the event of diving accidents”.

Meanwhile, the lawyer for Albatros Top Boat, the Italian tour operator who sold the high-end diving cruise package, is flying to the Maldives.

Italy Maldives Dive Accident
Monica Montefalcone, one of the five Italian scuba divers who died in the Alimathaa cavesCredit: AP

 

A woman in a black bikini sits on a beach chair, looking to her right, with other beachgoers in the background.
Muriel Oddenino died in the tragedyCredit: Facebook

Orietta Stella, an experienced diver herself, said: “I want to understand what happened to these poor people and I want to follow the recovery of their bodies.”

It has since been revealed that the Duke of York yacht, from which they launched the expedition, did not have a permit allowing dives of more than 100ft.

Albatros Top Boat had its license suspended in the wake of the tragedy and insisted it did not authorise a dive of that depth.

A former military diver claimed that “rules were broken” in the high-risk cave – questioning why the group were allowed on the mission in the first place.

NINTCHDBPICT001081619167
Jenni Westerlund is one of the Finnish divers who has been flown to the Maldives for the recovery missionCredit: Facebook
NINTCHDBPICT001081619165
Patrik Grönqvist has also been sent to the MaldivesCredit: Facebook

Shafraz Naeem, a veteran of the Maldives National Defence Force, said:  “The authorities have confirmed that the operator exceeded the Maldives’ recreational depth limit of 30 metres and conducted the dives without the necessary permits.

“Everyone knows the rules were broken; they didn’t even have a permit to conduct research at those depths.”

The ex-diver is very familiar with the caves and described the complex series of tunnels.

The entrance to the cave is between 180 to 190ft, nearly double what the permit allowed, and extends down to 330ft.

It forks into different tunnels, and soon becomes pitch-black.

Walmart’s new ‘dark’ stores risk changing self-checkout lines & limits

Naeem said: “Even the most experienced divers can face considerable challenges in such environments.”

He believes that the Italian team died due to a combination of factors and stressed that just one “unexpected event can quickly turn into tragedy” at those depths.

Related Posts

“$7 MILLION FOR A TEENAGE WEDDING?” Tyson Fury’s family is reportedly divided after details emerged about the jaw-dropping gifts being prepared for his 16-year-old daughter’s upcoming wedding celebration — including a lavish custom caravan that has already sparked fierce reactions online. While some fans are praising the Fury family for honoring long-standing traditions and giving their daughter a “fairytale lifestyle,” others are questioning whether the extravagant plans send the wrong message about wealth, age, and public image.

Tyson Fury and his wife Paris’ family are reportedly torn after the couple gave their daughter a nearly $7 million wedding gift, including a gypsy caravan. The…

“SHE WAS JUST WALKING HOME.” A shocking late-night incident in Midtown Manhattan is sparking outrage after a woman reportedly disappeared into an uncovered street utility hole that many residents say should never have been left exposed in such a crowded area. As emergency crews rushed to the scene, stunned witnesses described confusion, screams, and a chaotic moment that has now triggered intense questions about city safety, maintenance failures, and whether warning signs were ignored before tragedy struck.

Woman dies after falling into open manhole in Midtown A female driver plunged to her death down a deep, uncovered manhole in Midtown Monday night, police said….

‘I WATCHED ONE EPISODE… AND SUDDENLY IT WAS 3AM.’” Prime Video’s new 8-part drama based on a wildly praised bestselling novel is rapidly becoming the streaming obsession viewers can’t stop talking about. Packed with dark secrets, emotional betrayals, and twists people genuinely never saw coming, the series is already being hailed as one of the most addictive dramas of the year

Calling all romance fans! Prime Video’s upcoming eight-part series, Every Year After, hits TV screens this June – and it’s shaping up to be a must-watch for anyone…

‘AFTER YEARS OF W.A.R, HEARTBREAK, AND TIME-TRAVEL CHAOS… LOVE FINALLY DEMANDED ITS ANSWERS.’ The ‘Outlander’ series finale has left fans emotionally wrecked as long-buried romances, impossible reunions, and heartbreaking goodbyes finally collide in one last chapter. But while some couples found peace at last, others were pulled into endings so unexpected that viewers are still arguing over them hours later.

Starz Over the course of Outlander‘s eight seasons, viewers see Claire (Caitriona Balfe) and Jamie (Sam Heughan) face plenty of battles and hardships once the former is thrust…

“THE SONG WAS ABOUT SCOTLAND’S PAIN… BUT NOW IT FEELS LIKE IT WAS FORETELLING HIS OWN GOODBYE.” More than a decade after George Donaldson’s heartbreaking death, fans across the world are still emotionally shattered by his haunting performance of “The Massacre of Glencoe,” filmed against the frozen beauty of the snowy Scottish Highlands. What once felt like a powerful tribute to one of Scotland’s darkest tragedies has slowly transformed into something even more devastating for Celtic Thunder fans, who now say George’s fragile voice, mournful expression, and emotional delivery make the performance almost impossible to watch without tears. As clips continue spreading online years later, many fans admit the song no longer feels like a historical ballad anymore — it feels like one final echo from the man they still haven’t emotionally let go of.

A Voice Gone for Over 10 Years — Still Echoing Through the Highlands George Donaldson stood in the snow of the Scottish Highlands with a guitar in…

“STOP TRYING TO STAY IN TUNE WITH PEOPLE WHO DON’T EVEN KNOW WHO THEY ARE.” Eric Church stunned graduates and completely lit up social media after delivering a brutally honest commencement speech that many viewers are now calling one of the most emotionally powerful celebrity addresses in years. Instead of giving the usual inspirational clichés about success and purpose, the country star warned students that the real danger in modern life is slowly losing your identity while desperately trying to fit into everyone else’s expectations, trends, and approval. By the end of the speech, clips of the moment were spreading everywhere online as thousands of viewers admitted Eric’s words hit harder than they expected — especially one deeply personal line that left the entire arena in stunned silence.

University of North Carolina Six strings and the truth. If you haven’t already, you need to take time to watch Eric Church‘s powerful commencement address that he delivered…